Thursday, June 26, 2008

Berlin, Germany

I've decided to Post my favorite pictures of our trip by the city. That way you will have something to look forward to rather than getting it all at once. Hopefully I can remember all the fun stuff. I didn't write things down like a should have.

Our first couple of days we spent in Berlin, Germany. Berlin has amazing history. Most of the city was destroyed in WWII so the city is pretty new. We visited the Berlin Wall, Bradenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Berliner Dome, some museums (but my back hurt so much this day that I didn't get a lot out of the museums), and experienced for the first time the chaos of the Euro Cup. More to come later about that. Here are some of my favorite pics.

Down the middle of Berlin there is a stone path that lines where the wall once stood. It is cool to see but sobering to see how the city was divided. I won't go into the history behind the wall because you probably already know so if you want more info let me know.


This is me standing in front of some of the last remnants of the wall. There were actually two walls, the East wall and the West wall. Between the two walls was no mans land which was patrolled by guards and by ferocious dogs. Many people who tried to escape were killed in no mans land.
This is Teri outside Zwinger Museum in Dresden, Germany. The museum was cool but it was so much better outside. The gardens were beautiful. This was the only day it rained on us.

Teri and I outside Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie was a place in which people could travel from West to East Berlin. West Berliners could go into East Berlin but East Berliners could not leave. There is a museum here that has a lot of info. It shows how people tried to escape and so forth. No pictures were allowed or I would have shown you how people climbed into the littlest places to get across the wall.
Me outside Zwinger Museum kissing a statue. Would you expect any less from me?
Me in the Holocaust Memorial. This is one of the coolest memorials I have ever seen. It was all of these pillars which were all different heights in rows and columns. You could walk through them. It was surprising how confining it felt. I spent a lot of time walking through just soaking it up.

We also saw where Hitler was finally killed. It is a parking lot now. They don't celebrate him in any way but they also don't hide their history.

This is Teri and I in front of a very odd sculpture. You can't see the real essence but from the side it looked like a man's "uhum" instead of arms. We tried to imitate it.



Tomorrow will be Prague (my favorite big city of the trip). Unfortunately, Teri's and my camera's both died in Prague so we don't have as many pics as we would have liked.

No comments: