Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July Weekend

It has been kind of a busy weekend so I apologize for not posting my patriotism.

I love the 4th of July. It is one of my favorite days. There are few things that make me cry but one of them is honoring soldiers. Honestly. I will cry during news reports of troops leaving or coming home from Iraq. It is crazy. This year was even more incredible because I had just returned from Germany and learned so much more about WWII, the holocaust, the Berlin Wall, and the vast amount of history there. It is incredible what troops do for our country. It has to be one of the most selfless acts ever. I can't even imagine the horror they not only see but participate in. I have a very, very close family member who to this day will not talk about what he saw while serving in Vietnam. Whether or not we agree with what is happening in Iraq it is important that we thank our troops for putting themselves in harms way. They and their families need support from the people they are fighting for.
One of my favorite (make me cry) events of 4th of July is when they play the songs of the different branches of the military and those who served are to stand up. I get very humbled when the old men stand with pride as their song is being played.
I was annoyed with the amount of young people who were not respectful to our nation. There were many teens walking around with their hats on during the anthem and just were not giving the respect. Parents please teach your children that it is important to show gratitude for the place that we live and the freedoms we have. Seriously, we could wake up one day and have a wall around our city saying we can no longer exit. Again, you don't have to agree with all the politics but patriotism is a must in my mind.

No comments: