Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm totally losing it!

I am totally losing it right now. I have had the worst week at work. I can't even handle it. Let me just give a little advice to you parents. I know that you want what is best for your child at school but do not go based on your neighbors opinions of teachers. Students success is rarely based on the teacher the child has. Their success is more determined by what is happening in the home in conjunction with the school. If a child learns that their parent will take them out of a class if they are not being successful because it is a bad teacher then the child doesn't realize the value of their responsibility in their learning. Plus, your neighbor doesn't always know which is the best teacher. Please think about this before you call to change your child's schedule. I had over 60 voicemails yesterday and probably another 30 today just for schedule changes.
Also, please really, really, really do your research before sending your child to a charter school. I know they have the reputation of being better because class sizes are smaller but there is no research out there that supports smaller class sizes equals better performance. What it does equal is better teacher retention and happier teachers. However, I would say about 70% of the students who come to my school from a charter school are behind in their English and math skills. If you would like more of my opinion on this let me know.
Don't even get me started on vouchers! :)

My ranting is over. I've just had a very bad day.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

wait, i thought vouchers didn't pass? am i totally uninformed? probably.

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

Oh the joys of school counseling. MAkes me remember why I miss it and why I don't? I love reading this though Tori, to think about where we've come after being in that first class together. SO I had no idea you were the head counselor now. Crazy! I would be terrified. That's awesome. Good luck with everything and we'll see you soon. I can't remember the date we finally set but I'm sure I have it on my calendar. If the week comes up and I haven't contacted you will you contact me? I don't want to just not show!